Sunday 6 February 2011

Development floor plans for my 'Eco Chic' Penthouse, NYC

My proposed layout #1 for my dream home had the following criteria


# Kitchen with family dining area
# formal lounge
# family lounge/cinema/media room
# 3 en-suite bathrooms
# working office
# utility area
# outside kitchen and alfresco dining
# large terrace/garden for growing veg and raising chickens

I wanted the bedrooms to face north, particularly the kids rooms  so as not be affected with early morning sun rises.  Oppositionally the living areas - kitchen/dining/lounge have southerly aspects to maximise on natural daylight.  The kitchen is at the east of the building as I love to have breakfast to a rising sun, and the lounge is at the west to enjoy the sunsets at the end of the day.
Note book extract for # layout 1
2D floor plan for # layout 1
For my second development layout #2 sketch, I went for a more organic shape, thinking about being renewable and sustainable  I used the leaf shape created in an earlier development exercise to visual how this could be applied to a home.

layout #2 roof elevation - glazed spine, sedum gently sloped roof
In this layout, I moved the office area to be beside the master bedroom. I rearranged the chickens to be outside the kids bedrooms so they can be more involved with their care. I added east and west terraces for outside relaxation for different times of daylight sun.  I've also added a veg patch beside the kitchen for convenience.

2D layout #2
For layout #3 - inspired by the recycling nature of my dream home, I tried out a circular outlay for the penthouse. Adding fruit trees to the north terrace to add to the working garden theme of veg and chickens.
layout #3 elevation - circular (recyclable)
layout #3 - 2D floor plan
My fourth and final layout harks back to my favourite shape of the leaf design.  Following an exercise of mocking layout 2 in a sketch scale model I realised that some of the rooms where too small. therefore i have enlarged the bedrooms, dressing room and en-suites.
I've added a cinema zone into the family zone and a library to the office.
This space has been taken from the already large terrace areas.
I've made the south facing side of the building - kitchen/dining/family/lounge all have bi-folding doors to open up the living spaces - weather permitting.
The Master bedroom also has opening doors to an outside spa and relaxation area.
beds 2, 3 and study have large picture windows to maximise the northern light.

Final layout plan #4















No comments:

Post a Comment